Sunday, August 30, 2015

SCHOOL DAYS - SCHOOL DAZE



                                                     STARTING SCHOOL
Kindergarten


    I think Mom was in need of some time off from kids. Kay was in 1st grade, and it was time to enroll me in Kindergarten. With two squealers out of the way, Mom could enjoy spending time with Paul, and might even sneak in a quick nap.


   
Mom was ready for me to be in Kindergarten, but I'm not sure I was ready to be there. Sitting on the carpet with a gaggle of smarty pants made me feel stupid. Everything the teacher taught, the other kids already knew. Weren't we here to learn our numbers and A,B,Cs? Beverly Burrup and the likes had been studying this stuff since they began teething.
    Sitting in one spot for long periods of time was im-POSS-ible! I couldn't wait for the bell. Let freedom ring! My greatest accomplishment in Kindergarten was making it all the way home without pooping my pants!

Elementary School

     Going back to school started out great! We had a student teacher who could pass for a princess. She was kind and loving and beautiful, with big, blue eyes. I still remember some of her lessons even though I was falling in love. We had a connection.  She lived in the Aurelia Spencer Rogers Hall on the BYU campus, and Aurelia was my great-grandmother.



     
I scoured the neighborhood gathering a beautiful bouquet of hand-picked flowers and headed for  her dorm. With heart pounding I gave her door a quick rap. When it opened there she stood in all her splendor. And there I stood, speechless, holding a handful of the neighbor's flowers. She bent down, looked at me with her loving blue eyes, gave me a hug, and then dropped the sad news. Her student teaching would end in a few days. I couldn't believe it. I was devastated! I ran home, threw myself on my bed, and cried myself to sleep. Later I learned that she became BYU's Home Coming Queen. She definitely had my vote!


Dixie Robertson. BYU Homecoming Queen.



No comments:

Post a Comment