Wednesday, January 13, 2016

NEAR TRAGEDY ON THE PROVO RIVER



        Early June brings a rise in the Provo River runoff along with a rise in the testosterone level of Provo’s young men. The combination of the two helped compel us to tube the fast flowing river water. School was out and a small group of BY High graduates, Paul, Tom, Kent, Dave, Jed and I were up for the adventure.

Train trestle up Provo Canyon.

        We pumped up old truck inner tubes to near explosive levels, threw them in our truck and headed up Provo Canyon to the old train trestle. Wading into the cold water was the worst part. When everyone had mounted up we pushed off. Mine was the first tube to catch the swift current. This was a great idea! Hot sun, cool water, and the grandeur of Provo Canyon rushing by was exhilarating. The rapids sprayed us with icy water and bucked and tossed us like rodeo cowboys, but we stayed in the saddle.Wahoo!

        Approaching a sharp curve near Vivian Park my tube was unexpectedly swept into a fast moving current racing along the rugged bank. About five feet from the shore, a tall tree stood in the water directly in my path, the raging water rushing around both sides.  I was on a collision course. Thinking fast, I decided to dismount the tube on the far right hand side, pass the tree, and climb back on.

        As soon as I hit the water I knew it was a mistake, a big mistake! Under the water about two feet below the surface a large log was trapped, running perpendicular to the river. It caught me across the chest and held me tight. The force of the river had me pinned. Unfortunately my head was just below the surface. I frantically reached above me, desperately grasping for something to hold on to. I had to find something to pull my head above water. I couldn't breathe!

Fast flowing Provo River during spring runoff.


      
There it was. I felt the tip of a small branch, less than ¼ inches in diameter, but was it enough. using the leverage of the fragile branch I pulled my head high enough out of the water for a short gasp of air. I could feel the branch weakening! It couldn’t hold me much longer. With one eye above the surface I saw Kent Peterson floating by! “Are you ok?” I could read his lips. I tried to shake my head. But that’s when the small branch gave way. Now I was in real trouble.  No air and trapped below the surface.

     I put my hands against the submerged log and tried again to push myself back to the surface. Try as I might I couldn't force myself up. The current was crushing me tighter and tighter against the log. My air supply was gone. Could this be the end? Is this what it was like to die?

    The only solution left was to push down, use the current flowing under the log to go deeper. There could be more branches and trapped debris lower in the water. I had no choice. If I stayed where I was I would die. If I was sucked lower beneath the log and got caught I would be just as dead. But there was the outside chance I could resurface on the other side still alive! Exerting every ounce of strength I could muster I pushed downward. With the help of the raging current I struggled deeper and deeper, scraping under the log's rough surface. A sudden rush of mighty water, and I was popping up on the other side, reaching for the surface and gasping for air.


Fisherman wading into the Provo River


   Glancing back I saw a fisherman with his pole inching his way out into the current, trying to reach me. My tube was long gone, so I set out swimming across the river, looking for slower moving water. When my feet finally kicked the rocky bottom, I dragged myself onto the shore, totally exhausted. I just lay there for quite some time, giving thanks for being alive. I wanted to kiss the earth!  

 
Vivian Park, Lower Provo River

  
My friends had gone ashore downstream and were running up river looking for me. Finding me alive and somewhat kicking they enthusiastically yelled, "Let's do it again!" Not me. One close call with death was enough excitement for one day.       

No comments:

Post a Comment